Thursday, December 11, 2008

Shrimp and Grits


Embracing a small part of our combined heritage, Stu and I decided to have Shrimp and Grits for dinner. Below if the recipe I used, which was described as being “Carolina Shrimp and Grits”. It was pretty good we decided. Try it!
Shrimp and Grits:

2 1/2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
3/4 cup quick-cooking white grits
3 tablespoons cream cheese
2 tablespoons half and half
1/2 cup chopped green onions1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
COOKING:Combine chicken broth and 1 tablespoon butter in heavy medium saucepan and bring to boil. Stir in grits. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Mix cream cheese and half and half into grits. Cover and simmer mixture until almost all liquid has evaporated and grits are tender, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Stir in green onions. Remove mixture from heat.

Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and sauté just until shrimp are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Remove skillet from heat.

Spoon grits onto center of plate. Top with shrimp and drizzle with lime butter from skillet.

(During the cooking process I also seasoned the shrimp a tiny bit of salt and a decent amount of pepper… so if you like your shrimp more flavored, that’s a good way to go!)

4 comments:

Mary-Leah said...

I have never eaten grits. What are they exactly? They look kind of barfy. Please extoll their virtues.

Sydney said...

How can you be 40 and never have eaten grits?!?!? I love them but usually eat them with butter and salt with my breakfast. You gotta try them!

Aishah said...

i know many will think this is a sin, but i just have to fess up---I eat my grits with.....sugar.

i know the entire southern part of the us just fell over twitching! :-D

Sarah said...

Oh Mary-Leah! I don't even know you but I feel that I HAVE to tell you to try grits! Even instant ones! Gah, haha I can't imagine life without grits... sooo yummy, add a little butter, salt/pepper if you want... satisfies a craving you can only have for grits! =)

Sydney - it's awesome you're embracing Carolina! =)