Saturday, January 10, 2009

Counting Calories: Week 1

With the start of the new year, I decided, like thousands of other people, to try to lose a few pounds and get into better shape. Since I am not making fat-filled yummy delights, I figured I might as well post what I AM eating, in case I can help someone else to lose a little weight too.

My plan is to eat between 1,200 and 1,550 calories per day. I am not currently following an exercise regimen since it is usually the first thing to derail my diet. So I decided to get myself into the habit of healthy, low-cal eating first, THEN work on adding in some exercise.

This first week I lost 3 pounds... here is what I ate:

Sunday: (total calories: 1,546) This was our Anniversary and Stu made breakfast AND we went out to eat at dinner. I had to be very careful about what I chose at dinner to make sure not to go over.
Breakfast: 1 slices French toast, light syrup, tea with honey.
Lunch: Turkey, Swiss, and avocado sandwich, lightly spread mayo, 2 slices of an apple, and a fresh mandarin orange.
Dinner: Pulgogi and rice at a Korean Restaurant and a Pepsi.

Monday: (total calories: 1,693) I went over this day. I found that I was too hungry to not have a snack between lunch and dinner and then our dinner was pretty high calorie and then we decided to have some champagne.
Breakfast: tea with honey, 1 egg scrambled with cooking spray and a half an English muffin.
Lunch: Cream of chicken Cup-A-Soup and 10 Ritz crackers.
Dinner: Stu's fabulous burgers with cheddar cheese, avocado, tomato, lettuce, and ketchup, and French fries. Snacks: popcorn, tortilla chips with avocado, and a half of a pita spread with peanut butter and honey. Champagne for dessert.

Tuesday: (total calories: 1,188) I guess I tried to make up for yesterday by eating under the calories I should. This is not a good idea and will make you more weak and irritable than thin and healthy.
Breakfast: tea with sugar, one poached egg on toast with margarine, and a half of a banana.
Lunch: soup and crackers (same as yesterday)
1st Snack: half a pita with mayo and ham
Dinner: Light beef and broccoli over brown rice. 2 Sugar cookies for dessert.
2nd Snack: Popcorn

Wednesday: (total calories: 1,228)
Breakfast: tea with sugar and 2 mini frittatas
Lunch: Cup-A-Soup, an apple, 2 slices of deli turkey, a piece of Arabic bread and garlic paste.
Dinner: Homemade bean and brown rice burritos, garnished with lettuce, tomato, and avocado.
Snack: popcorn and 2 sugar cookies

Thursday: (total calories: 1,495)
Breakfast: Fruit N Fiber cereal with milk, tea and honey
Lunch: Arabic bread and garlic paste, an apple with cheddar cheese, a handful of tortilla chips.
Dinner: Dinner at Chili's: 1/3 an order of the Crispy Chicken salad with oriental dressing and about ten chips with 2 Tablespoons of spinach and artichoke dip.

Friday: (total calories: 1,482) This was the day we had to do a border run to get new visa stamps, so we ate out for lunch at KFC.
Breakfast: tea with honey, 2 mini fritattas, 1 slice of bread with margarine
Lunch: Fish sandwich with tartar sauce, a few bites of a rice bowl, and a small diet Pepsi.
Dinner: Grilled pork chop and a slice of garlic bread.

Saturday: (total calories: 1,326)
Breakfast: Fruit N Fiber cereal with milk
Snack: A Grande non-fat mocha from Starbucks.
Lunch: Turkey and avocado sandwich with mayo and a cup of Cranberry Juice.
Dinner: Grilled Cheese sandwich, tomato basil soup
Snack # 2: popcorn

I hope everyone else's diets are going well for them! Good luck!

No comments: