Sunday, April 26, 2009

Cream Dried Beef on Toast (aka Chipped Beef on Toast, or Shit on a Shingle)

When I was little, my Mom used to make this for breakfast every year on Easter. I would get so excited to get the egg hunt over with so that we could eat! I couldn't get ahold of my Mom for her recipe, so I had to improvise it on my own. I thought it tasted almost exactly the same, so I guess I got it close enough. This was a HUGE hit with my boys. My husband said, "Oh, yum!" FOUR times during the course of his meal and my monkey ate almost all of his. Enjoy!


Cream Dried Beef on Toast:

1 jar dried beef, rinsed and diced
6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/4 cup butter (you can use a butter substitute, I did)
1/4 cup flour
approx. 6 cups of skim milk
1 cup whole milk (to make it creamier)
salt and pepper to taste

1) Melt butter in a large sauce pan over low-medium heat. Wisk in the flour and let it cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly (if your roux constantly tastes gritty or like flour, you're not letting your flour cook long enough).

2) Slowly add in the milk, a little at a time, stirring very often until thickened. Allow the sauec to thicken before pouring all of it in. You may need more of less than recipe calls for, depending on thickening.

3) Add in the dried beef and allow flavors to combine for about 5 minutes over low heat, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

4) Add eggs and cook additional 3-4 minutes, allowing flavors to combine.

Serve over toasted bread. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Mary-Leah said...

I used to practically cry when Mimi would make this! I hated it! Now, it's ok like maybe once a year, but still not my favorite. We had it so often that we had a whole "set" of "juice glasses" (dried beef jars)!

Mimi/Papa said...

This has always been one of our favorite breakfasts or, for a lazy night, for dinner! We love it anytime. I have to say, I have never "rinsed" the beef, but I suppose it would take away some of the saltiness. I never add extra salt but do add pepper. My mom made the best in the world, and mine is pretty damn good, too. Your mom's is great as well. Glad you figured out how to fix it with trial and error. You can always call me for recipes if you need to!! haha For "normal" things, that is. Not all that "southern" food that your mom makes!! LOLOL Love you, Chef Syd!

Pam said...

I just read in your profile that you left Boise - were you from Idaho? I am originally from Hailey. Small world.

This is my VERY FAVORITE breakfast EVER. My mom & dad make it for me whenever I visit them in Idaho. We've never added the hard boiled egg before - great idea.