Saturday, October 11, 2008

Crab Cakes (for Shelly :))

Ok, like Shelly I have had a REALLY hard time finding a recipe for Crab Cakes that are really good. This one is a start, though I still don’t think it is perfect:



Crab Cakes:

1 lb. of crabmeat, picked free of shells (you can also use imitation, as I had to last time, the flavor isn’t quite as good, but they still turn out pretty good)
1/3 cup crushed Ritz crackers
3 green onions, finely chopped (both the green and white parts)
1 egg
1/4 cup mayonnaise (you may need a little more)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon mustard
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
dash of chili or cayenne powder (to taste)
Flour, for dusting
1/2 cup of vegetable oil, for frying.

1) In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except flour and oil. Shape into patties and dust with flour.

2) Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Carefully place cakes into pan and fry until browned (about 4 minutes) then flip and fry for 3-4 more minutes until brown.

3) Remove from pan to paper towels. Serve warm with Avocado Sauce (recipe to follow).


Spicy Avocado Crab Cake Sauce:

1/2 medium California avocado, pitted, peeled and mashed
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon each, salt and sugar
dash of chili powder, to taste
1/4 cup milk

Stir ingredients together slowly, leaving some chunks of avocado if you like. Add more chili powder for extra kick. Serve with crab cakes.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Mary-Leah said...

Love this idea! I am going to make Jeff check this blog regularly and he can try some of your recipes! HA! Since he's the cook and all.......

Shelly B said...

Yeah, thanks for the recipe. I add the stuff to my shopping list and am going to try them this week. They have to beat the ones I buy from Sams.

Great blog. I love recipes, especially ones from family.

Shelly

Shelly B said...

I made these last night and they were much better than my Sams freezer ones. I didn't do the avocado dip though, I'm not a big fan. The kids dipped them in ketchup (so beware of those days to come with Kaden, kids will dip anything and everything in ketchup). I thought they were good just as they were.

I used 1/4 tsp of minced garlic instead of garlic powder, I wasn't paying attention to your recipe.
So note to self 1/4 tsp minced does not equal 1/4 tsp powder. Luckily we like garlic.

Fitness Foodie said...

Love crab cakes, yours looks devine, I have to work on mine the first time i made them i was not too impressed. back to the drawing board i suppose.